This week’s Meatless Monday also happens to be Miss P’s first Cinco de Mayo! To keep things festive, we’ll be forgoing our beloved “Taco Tuesday” and feasting upon this mouth-watering taco salad with all the fixings a day early. Grab your sombrero and give it a try; this is one serious salad.
I’ll share how we do it, but please know this recipe is pretty much a free-for-all when it comes to ingredients and assembly.
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 a small red onion, diced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 can pitted black olives
- 15 oz. can black beans or pinto beans
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 package Mexican style veggie crumbles, equal to 1 lb. of ground beef (Lightlife Smart Ground is our favorite.)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream (We like Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet.)
- 1 1/2 cups salsa of your choice
- tortilla chips of your choice
- shredded cheese
- refried beans
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
(Really, the possibilities are endless.)
- Keeping each item separate, shred lettuce, seed and dice tomatoes, dice red onion, and cut lime into wedges. Drain and slice olives. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse beans; beans may be warmed over low heat in a sauce pan or served cold.
- Prepare corn and veggie crumbles according to package directions.
- When everything else is ready, slice the avocado. (This should be your last step, as avocados begin to turn brown quickly once exposed to air.)
- Assemble salads on separate plates: We like to start with the veggie crumbles, beans, and corn, then add fresh ingredients. Finally, squeeze a couple of lime wedges over your salad, and top with a dollop of sour cream and some salsa.
- Serve with a side of tortilla chips.
Note: I like to put each item in a separate container (containers with lids work best), and line them up along the countertop or tabletop. This makes assembling salads and storing/retrieving leftovers fast and easy.
Happy Cinco de Mayo from The Excellent Adventures of Miss P!